It’s time for “Confusing Words of the Week” where I take a set of two or three words that get confused and give you definitions and try to give you a memory trick to help you remember when to use which word. If you have words that confuse you, use the Ask PTB tab on the website or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they may appear here soon!
This week’s words are:
- Annals – historical records
- She researched the church annals looking for her genealogy records.
- Annual – yearly
- He looked forward to the annual celebration of new officers.
- Annul – to cancel
- She couldn’t wait to annul the agreement to serve on the committee.
- Annals – records about your Aunt Ann
- Annual – U Always Love your birthday every year
- Annul – undo
As an extra, someone posted this sign on my Facebook page, and since it fit perfectly to demonstrate the issues with misspelling annually, I’m adding it here: