It’s time for “Confusing Words of the Week” where I take a set of two or three words that get confused and give you definitions and try to give you a memory trick to help you remember when to use which word. If you have words that confuse you, use the Ask PTB tab on the website or send an email to email@example.com and they may appear here soon!
This week’s words are:
- censor – (n.) an official who examines documents and deletes objectionable material; (v.) to examine in order to delete anything considered objectionable
- The network television show was heavily censored for language.
- sensor – a device that detects a change (for example, in motion, light, heat, sound or pressure)
- The sensor for the air conditioner was broken.
- censure – (n.) condemnation; reprimand; (v.) to criticize; to find fault with
- The politician received a censure for his recent antics.
- censor – censOr – O for objectionable
- sensor – senses a change
- censure – they should be reprimanded for sure