When your son’s baseball team scores a run, what do you say? Yeah, yea, or yay?
- Yeah means yes. It means yes informally, but means yes nonetheless.
- Yea also means yes and is also an affirmative vote (the opposite of nay).
- Yay is an exclamation used to express joy and excitement, like when your son’s baseball team scores a run.
Hopefully yay is the correct answer to the first question. Is the opposite also true?
- Nope means no and is informal.
- Nah also means no and is also informal.
- Nay is an archaic no and also is a negative vote (the opposite of yea).
Any of these are correct informal replacements for no but none of them is as fun as yay! Let’s make it a point to notice something worthy of a big “YAY!” today!